Sunday 8 January 2012

Blower alignment

I have decided that I would love to get this car done and at mini united in the South of France this year so will have to get my finger out and really push this.
I spent a day at mini mats stripping a mini for the wiring loom as mine was damaged however I know I will need to revisit the loom to add the extra features I want. I had to remove so many items but I really want to thank Mat for his help as this build would be very difficult without him and sourcing parts would have been costly if all brought new ~ thank you Mat, I appreciate your help.

Again in the theme of making my life difficult I managed to get hold of a cooper water pump, which fitted where the alternator used to be, sadly this meant finding a new home for the alternator. The alternator had 15mm removed from the lug to drop the height so it does not stick out so much. I still need to make a lower support for the unit but I am not to worried as it will be easy to make.
I decided to bring the blower further out from the block as early supercharger conversions I have done, I put the blower too close to the block which caused a few issues. This position does fowl on the radiator but I consider that a minor issue which will be easy to fix. I have left more than enough room around the sensors and water pipes.
I will need to revisit the water pump as the current belt wrap would meant the back non grooved side would be driving the belt.

I sat around with my TIG welder and started to make up some simple brackets to start mocking out how the blower will be held, the blower will be held at the nose, rear and also the outlet flange so there will be 4 fixing points.

All the aux devices fitted
 Flange bracket which would be welded onto the outlet plate of the blower
 Modified alternator brought in closer to the sump, the bottom side will need a bracket making. The sheet of metal represents the level of the sump and is showing that there will be lots of clearance so the car can be slammed.

While thinking about the engine and the fixings I have been adding resin to the carbon parts I am currently making. Decided I hate carbon skinning but the results make it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment