Sunday 17 July 2011

Engine build P1

Today I took some time to relax and start on the assembly process of the engine as I have a nice pile of new parts.
The first thing I started to do is to clean all the components, even where new as I wanted to be sure everything was clean and without any contaminates.

With the parts clean I started to gap the rings, which I found did not need too much work but in general opening by about 0.10 mm.

Before fitting the rings I installed the gudgeon pin and spring clips then laid out all the parts in order ready for assembly which certainly looked like a camera moment



I like taking the time to gap the rings but always hate fitting them due to the risk of snapping a ring but I am relieved that they all fitted without any issues.

A photo of a ring top ring in place gapped correctly for my needs


Here is a piston fully build ready to go into the engine



With the piston and rings all in place I decided that I would get them all built up and then using a piston ring compressor installed the pistons into the block



The lower half of the engine bearings were installed and then placed together



Then lastly for the day I decided to put the cylinder in place but it is not fitted as I will need to lift it off and apply the copper gasket correctly

No comments:

Post a Comment